testing

Gideon's Bible & Jehoshaphat's "Choir"  

Posted by Cyndi Lou in , ,

On day 1 of our vacation, I awoke at 5:40 AM (Central Time). It was joyous occasion for me, to be the first to rise on such a GLORIOUS morning, without an alarm clock! I was overwhelmed with excitement at seeing the break of a new day- a vacation day- nonetheless! I couldn't describe to you my joy to see my precious family sleeping peacefully in the still darkness of a Hilton hotel room in Auburn, AL (yes, Joe's sweet old Auburn), the only noise the lulling hum of the air conditioning unit's fan. Oh, what bliss to greet the new day so early and so peacefully!

NOT... Were any of you buying that??? Though all of the above happened exactly as I described, I can honestly say that I was NOT 'joyful' nor 'excited' that I woke up at 5:40 AM on my first day of vacation! I woke up in pain and not feeling well. In fact, I was feeling quite miserable and was headed straight for the bathroom in pain, yes, while my family continued on in blissful sleep!!

But, in the stillness of the dark, I sought out the trusty 'Gideon's Bible' that I was praying 'they' ('they' being our corrupt society) had not yet taken out of hotel rooms nationwide. (FYI... I had no luck in the TOP drawer, but low and behold, I found it in the 2nd drawer. If you are wondering, yes, I brought my Bible on vacation, but it is still packed in the car.) Anyway, on to the point and the title of this post...

I opened up the Holy Bible (NIV) to 2 Chronicles chapter 20. Have you read this chapter of the Bible? It has quite a powerful story to tell! The story is of Jehoshaphat, King of Judah at the time, and his army and his CHOIR! Yes, you read that right, his CHOIR!! The story goes that men told Jehoshaphat (if you think that is hard to say, try typing it over and over while spelling it right every time first thing in the AM!)... that 'a vast army is coming against you from Edom, just over the sea. They are already very close' (my paraphrase) (vs.2). Jehoshaphat was very alarmed and he RESOLVED to inquire of the Lord. (side note: How many times do I get very alarmed and wait until LAST to inquire of the Lord? He inquired of the Lord FIRST!!) He and the people of Judah came together to seek help from the Lord! People came from every town in Judah to seek Him. THEY CAME FROM EVERY TOWN!

verse 6 - "O LORD, God of our fathers, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you."

The chapter continues on to describe their fasting and praying and then hearing from God through Jahaziel. Jahaziel speaks in verses 15-17:

15 He said: "Listen, King Jehoshaphat and all who live in Judah and Jerusalem! This is what the LORD says to you: 'Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's.
16 Tomorrow march down against them. They will be climbing up by the Pass of Ziz, and you will find them at the end of the gorge in the Desert of Jeruel.
17 You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.' "

Then, (bear with me here, I am getting to the choir part) after hearing this and 'consulting his people', Jehoshaphat (still isn't easy to type) did something remarkable (verse 20-21):

20 Early in the morning they left for the Desert of Tekoa. As they set out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, "Listen to me, Judah and people of Jerusalem! Have faith in the LORD your God and you will be upheld; have faith in his prophets and you will be successful."
21 After consulting the people, Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the LORD and to praise him for the splendor of his holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying:
"Give thanks to the LORD, for his love endures forever."

He had prayed and fasted and sought God and then he decided to send out the CHOIR first! Now, that is kind of scary. I am sure these men who sang gloriously were thinking, 'You want US to go FIRST? Has the King lost his mind?' Not many singers are ferocious warriors. But, that is what God impressed upon Jehoshaphat and his men to do-- bring in the choir. Well, the POINT of this is all found in the next few verses (22-24):

22 As they began to sing and praise, the LORD set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated.
23 The men of Ammon and Moab rose up against the men from Mount Seir to destroy and annihilate them. After they finished slaughtering the men from Seir, they helped to destroy one another.
24 When the men of Judah came to the place that overlooks the desert and looked toward the vast army, they saw only dead bodies lying on the ground; no one had escaped.


WOW!!!! As His people sang and praised His HOLY name, He set ambushes against those coming to attack them. They actually turned on each other and destroyed themselves from within. Jehoshaphat's men were outnumbered by a vast army (vs. 2) and there was no way his army could have beaten the multitude rising against them! But, when the king, who was greatly alarmed, chose FIRST to seek God, fast, and pray, and then first and foremost He decided to praise our Father in Heaven through singing of His love that endures forever, God heard their cries and saw fit to protect them and defeat their enemies! That is INCREDIBLE!!!

How awesome is it that God wants to hear us praise Him-- whether we are singing in our kitchen, in our car, in the shower, with our children, in a Hilton hotel room in Auburn, AL WAY TOO EARLY in the morning, or in our choir lofts on Sunday mornings before worship, God inhabits the praise of His people!

That humbled me and made me realize just how powerful our true, honest, fervent praise can be! So, the next time you feel alarmed, seek His face, pray, and then PRAISE His name and leave the defeating of your enemies to HIM!! He has gotcha' covered my friend!!!

Thank you Lord, for...

  • Early mornings given to us by You where we can seek You and find You,
  • Gideon's Bibles still in hotel rooms, even in the dark days of our corrupt society,
  • Inhabiting the praise of your children!!!
  • Waking me up early on a quiet morning to find You waiting for me to seek your face and to ease my physical pain!!
  • And, most of all, thank You that the battle is not ours, but YOURS, Lord!!

P.S. My 2 children are still fast asleep and I am now praising His name for His goodness and protection!! Also, please pray for safe travels as we drive down to Gulf Shores today.

This entry was posted on August 1, 2008 at Friday, August 01, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

Maybe the Lord woke you up this morning just to give you (and us) that great word of encouragement.

That'll preach, sister!

Have a safe, fun, and relaxing time!

Shana

Fri Aug 01, 09:15:00 AM 2008

Wow girl, you had me! I thought you had my early morning syndrome. I, too was up at 4:30 this morning, but alas I did not spend it the glorious way that you did. I should have, but even at 4:30 in the morning I'm thinking about what i have to get done...sad...but true...and usually why I can't sleep. If I had followed my fearless friend(that's you). I would have been praising him about how he's gonna help me accomplish all that I have to get done before school starts back. Did I sing? No...should I sing now? Well, that depends on who you ask. Ken says "NO!" But guess what? One day I'm gonna sing as loud,proud and beautiful as my dear choir/praise band friends.
LOVE YOU and HAVE FUN!!!
Terri

Fri Aug 01, 10:44:00 AM 2008

Wow! What a good word. I struggle with praise but God is teaching me. Have fun and as Catherine would say, "Just Chill-ax" (hybrid of chill & relax!)
Love,
MB

Fri Aug 01, 11:19:00 AM 2008

Great word Cyndi! I am glad God woke you up early this morning! :) Hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Fri Aug 01, 03:54:00 PM 2008

Dear friends,

We are HERE safely! Praise the Lord!! MB- Tell sweet CatCat that she is a girl after Mr. Joe's own heart! "Chill-ax' has become our new 'word of the day'!

Love you gals!!

Cyndi

Fri Aug 01, 07:48:00 PM 2008

Cyndi,

Thanks for the Word!!! I tend to forget they are His battles! I think I need to fix it or make it better but your right He wants to hear us SING!!

I think that is conformation (hope that is spelled right)that I'm going back to choir.

Thanks girl
Be Safe and Have FUN!!!!!

Lacey H

Sat Aug 02, 12:55:00 AM 2008

Hey girl, thought you might wanna know that Linda Fitzgerald came to church this morning. I was pleasantly surprised AND I think she was also surprised (that she enjoyed it so much). I told her that it was an off day, but even when our worship leader is gone, we don't have a pastor, and all the people that she knows (you and MBJ) are on vacation...it's still awesome at EMC. Yeah, I'm a little prideful, but I'm just so thankful to be there.
hugs and have a great time,
Terri
PS I thought I posted this once already but it disappeared. I'm trying again.

Sun Aug 03, 05:10:00 PM 2008

Post a Comment