testing

Pay Attention & Gain Some Perspective  

Posted by Cyndi Lou in , ,


I know, I know, I need to finish posting journal entries from Austin's surgery, but today, for this post, I plan on writing a book review. I just finished reading a wonderful little book titled 'The Noticer'. It was written by Andy Andrews.

It is a powerful little book all about paying attention to the little things in life and about gaining a proper, fresh perspective for any given situation you may be facing in life. This book is about a man who is a 'staple' in a small town in Gulf Shores, Alabama. He has been coming and going in and out of this town for years and years. No one knows where he lives, nor do they know when he'll leave or when he'll return. But, he always shows up at just the moment someone needs him.

He seems to have this amazing wisdom that really helps a person see their life, dilemma, problem, or grief, in a whole new light. I was intrigued by the characters in this book and by his unconventional wisdom. The author did an amazing job of giving the readers enough detail to allow us to empathize with and care about each character, and that is saying a lot. See, there are many different characters woven in and out of this little book and I grew to care about each one of them. I loved reading about them and seeing their perspective change once they spent time with this wise man. There are a few sayings that I took away with me that will not leave me. Some of them are:

  • "There is absolutely no power in intention. There is no difference in the person who intends to do things differently and the one who never thinks about it in the first place. How often do we judge ourselves by our intentions while we judge others by their actions? Yes, intention without action is an insult to those who expect the best from you." (Italics mine)
  • "Most people think it takes a long time to change. It doesn't. Change is immediate! Instantaneous! It may take a long time to decide to change... but change happens in a heartbeat!"
  • "There are generations yet unborn, whose very lives will be shifted and shaped by the moves you make and the actions you take... tonight. And tomorrow. And tomorrow night. And the next day. And the next. No matter your age, physical condition, financial situation, color, gender, emotional state, or belief... everything you do, every move you make, matters to all of us-- and forever."
  • "If you set your mind on loss, you are more likely to lose... But a grateful perspective brings happiness and abundance into a person's life."
Reading this little book helped me to NOTICE several things in my own life, and not all of them were particularly good. I found a bit of myself in more than just one of the characters in this book. I promise you that you will not regret reading this gem of a book! It blessed me tremendously and I have decided to pay better attention to the people and places around me and to gain some fresh perspective as often as I can!

This entry was posted on July 6, 2009 at Monday, July 06, 2009 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

It sounds like a must read. I like to read things like this. This summer, I've read "no thinking required" type books. It's the first time EVER. I have always read books about my profession, my spiritual life, parenting and any other non fiction area I could read. I wanted a break from reading those types of things this summer. However, this book just might need to merge me back into my more meaningful reads. Thanks for sharing.

Sun Jul 12, 05:13:00 PM 2009

Post a Comment