testing

How Do You Get THERE from HERE?  

Posted by Cyndi Lou in

How do you get from point A to point B? Sometimes the answer to that simple question is NOT so simple. Sometimes, you just don't know how you are going to get there, but eventually, with God's grace, you do. And then other times, you don't have the words to tell someone you care about, who is hurting, how they are going to get from point A to point B. That can be a loaded question. It was a loaded question for me the other evening while I was tucking my son into bed....

We were wrapping up our nightly routine... talking together, putting his favorite classical music on to play (Yo-Yo Ma), praying, and saying good night. This is when Austin asked me, 'Mommy, they ARE going to go through my mouth to put that shunt in my brain right?' I was stunned. I hesitated for a moment and then I realized that I need to give him an honest answer. So, I replied, 'No, son, that is not how they will put the shunt in your brain.'

He just stared at me and then he asked the loaded question, 'Then, mommy, how will they get it in THERE? How will they get the shunt in my brain?' My heart broke for him. He has been FINE with this surgery for the past week or so, but that was when he thought they were going through his mouth to get there. But, that was before.... BEFORE he realized they will have to make incisions in his brain to get there & BEFORE he realized that it might be more painful than he originally thought. (Have you ever been okay with a plan or something you were going through until you realized it had become more painful that you thought it would? I know I have!)

So, after I gathered my composure, and I finally found words, this is how our conversation went:

Me: 'Son, they will make 2 cuts in your brain so that they can put the shunt where it needs to go.' (His eyes almost popped out of his head!)
Austin: 'Really, mommy? They will cut me 2 times in my head?'

Me: 'Yes, Austin. They will. They are great doctors and this is how they put a shunt in someone's brain.'
Austin: (Sitting & thinking with his finger on his chin, looking somewhat puzzled... can you picture it?) Then, 'Mommy, this IS the part where I will be asleep, right?'

Me: 'Most definitely son, you WILL be asleep for this part. This is the surgery part.'
Austin: 'Mommy, where will you and Daddy be when they make those cuts? Will you be in the room with me and the doctor?'

Me: 'No, Austin. The doctors will have you in the operating room by that time. They don't let mommy's & daddy's go into the operating room. We will be with you until they wheel you back there and we will be there when you wake up. I promise you we will be there.' (My "mother's heart" was breaking for him at this point.)
Austin: 'Hmmmm.... I wish you and daddy could be back there with me in the... what was that called... the operating room?' (He sat and thought for a moment or two and then he spoke words that melted my heart!)

Austin: 'But, that's OK mommy, I know I will be alright. God will be with me in that room and I bet He will have angels in there too, to watch over me and to protect me.'

I didn't have words....

All I know is that it took the words of my 6 year old son to remind me that when we don't know how we are going to get there from here, ask God and He will not only accompany us on our journey, but He will be there waiting for us on the other side!! And, if we are truly blessed, He will place angels in our paths to watch over us on our way! I was reminded that many of you are angels in our family's path helping us get through this time!! Thank you for being there for us! We love you dearly!

I included a picture of Anna Grace & Austin with the World Of Coke Bear from our weekend outing 2 weeks ago! :0)

This entry was posted on May 1, 2009 at Friday, May 01, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

3 comments

Such a smart kid!!! I know God has big plans for him!!!! This is just one part of his story.

Sat May 02, 09:12:00 AM 2009

Wow, Austin is wise beyond his years! What a great reminder that God is right beside us every single second.

Praying!!!

Sat May 02, 12:40:00 PM 2009
NaNa  

Dearest Austin,
NaNa is so blessed to know that you realize GOD will be with you and that all of us who love you sooooooooo much will be ther in spirit waiting to see your big brown eyes and sweet smile. I love you so much my sweet boy. What are we doing for your birthday ??????? I want to be there. Call Me.........................Love you and mommie daddy and Gracie

NaNa

Sun May 03, 06:31:00 PM 2009

Post a Comment